Brief History of the Club

Origins

The club building, as we know it was built circa 1890 and was built for a Mr Green of the famous Southampton store Tyrell and Green, then to become John Lewis. In 1938 Isabel Saunders, who was married to Dr Charles Saunders, who founded the Children's Hospital in Southampton, bought it.

Second World War

Wine Bar
Large secluded rear garden.
Small marquee available to hire

During the War it was used to billet the Canadian soldiers and during this period the RAF personnel from Hamble, Eastleigh (including the Spitfire test pilots), Boscombe Down and Tangmere airfields also used it. The most notable figures during this time were the likes of Geoffrey Quill who was the chief test pilot for the De Haviland Aircraft Company and Douglas Bader and Melanie Hindmarsh who was his driver, who Bader referred to as his "little Joanna". All this time the building housed evacuees in the upstairs accommodation. They were a self-sufficient household with their own livestock, which included cows and pigs, along with their vegetable gardens and greenhouses. It was the cook/house keeper named Edie who ran the house and it was a couple called George and Dot who lived in "Hill Lodge". There were 9 people who lived in the house and they had their own tennis courts and putting green.

Post War

secluded garden
Wine bar with flat screen television

After the war it became a family home, the evacuees stayed on for a while and then were eventually given pre fabs in St Johns Road. In 1976 it was sold to the Conservative Association, it was a Sir Leslie Loader who was the founder and it was opened by Margaret Thatcher and since then it has been used and visited by most of the Conservative leaders. The Club celebrated its 30th anniversary a few years ago.

Now

Bridget Hill Suite
Bridget Hill Suite which can be re-arranged for conferencing with large screen TV with HDMI connection and Wi Fi facility

The club, which is set in a large wooded area with a large car park can provide an ideal venue for your conferencing facilities in the newly re-furbished "Bridget Hill Suite", which includes a large flat screen television for presentations, we can provide all your catering needs in house with Tea and Coffee reception with pastries and lunches at very competitive prices. The club also boasts a large bar area, which includes a dance floor which is available to hire for private parties.